Monday, October 24, 2005

“Settlin’ the Score in Ellsinore” (Jim)

(First draft of an assignment to write a dialog between historical figures who never could've met in real life............ Jim)

“Settlin’ the Score in Ellsinore”..............................
– or – ..............................
“The Get On in Avon”................................

(Seats Still Available ........................................
Call Ticketron Today) .....................................

The Bard never hit as hard as The Floater
(at least not below the cortex)
but both were dexterious dancers
in their days and ways
and both were poets.

“’Tis most passing strange
my pugilistic partner
that thee and me be paired
in such odd contest.”

“I know what you mean,
‘cos altho’ we get on pretty keen
you’re paunchy and white
an’ I’m black and lean.

“I mean ya’ tagged me at the weigh in
but don’t be thinkin’
no pen’s mightier than my fist

“It’s only I been out of the ring
plus my mamma told me
never hurt helpless old folk
so I was pullin’ my punch
when you ducked
and I missed.”

“Oh, if only t’were true,
but we are well and truly met
so you needn’t retain a reserve
for I’ll be giving you all you deserve.
And do take care lest all that
but too solid
well-conditioned flesh
should melt away.

“For I have come not to bury you perforce,
rather your fierce prowess to praise,
and while ne’er dreaming of what a rub I’d need
were you to catch and smite me in a squared ring,
yet around you rings I shall write.”

“In your dreams you pale old man
I am beauty, I am truth in a glove,
I am the plan.
And before we hit four
You’ll be down on the floor.
You think your plays are the thing,
but you ain’t felt my sting.”

“Indeed Sirrah
should your uppercut connect
and put me deep into sleep
who knows what dreams would arise from
Oblivion’s indigo depths?

But luckily I shall not likely
face that eventuality
as people say,
‘Alas poor Ali, whom well I knew.’

“S’more likely they’ll be sayin’
‘Here lies Will,
who thought he could take on the greatest,
now laid out pretty damn still.”

–Jim Keller
Draft © 2005 J. Keller All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I appreciate your do or die spirit. You have captured an interesting dialogue. I like the way you use different color type to show the different speakers. Good use of Elizabethan style and references to the famous quotes in the plays. You are a good camper.

I think the poem Lizard King was a dialogue between Jim Morrison and Edgar Allen Poe. Both died of excess.

I will soon come forth with a dialogue between Janet Leigh and Alfred Hitchcock.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Very cool..you captured the style, wit and sparring technique of both these speakers, so unlikely to meet