Monday, October 24, 2005

Roots (Susan)

This is my grandfather
He teaches me to be quiet
To wait

He teaches me to plant
To dip water
Drop by drop, gentle
Upon the sprouting seeds
Strawberry and melon ripening
In the sun

He grows me green
Plants and plentiful
Bread and fish to eat
His roots twine
Ancient, fragile
Around my feet
Binding me to earth

He disappears into the sun
Leaving me rooted in the soil
He hides somewhere
Waiting for me

I will uncoil from tangled roots
Become a bird
Fly away to find him

Susan Scheffein
Draft © 2005 S. Schefflein All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blend of actual imagery and symbolism -- and evocation of a particular but universal relationship between two people, between people and nature and between one's own particulars and the inevitable rhythms of life.

Especially liked the line
"I will uncoil from tangled roots"
not to mention the whole stanza. And whole poem.

Anonymous said...

I read this poem at my brother's funeral. He was also a gardener who loved the earth. It will forever have a special place in my heart because I connect it with that day and as a tribute to both my grandfather and my brother.