Sunday, October 16, 2005

August Commute (Jim)

Driving home on a Triple-H day
with the A/C conked out
(sweatin’ in the very worst way),
began to fear I was about to expire
(even while giving my all
to my need to perspire)!

My humid gaze gathering in
the shimmering sea
of unending traffic –
suddenly struck by a thot
a vision so graphic –
felt myself transformed
in spirit reborn –
couldn’t wait to share
lay my soul bare –
nothing else mattered
illusions all shattered!

No heat anymore
no 10,000 cars stretched out ahead,
no, just me and the insight
now filling my head,
Exit 10, Exit 9
countin’ down
(ain’t life fine!)
past the mall, round the wall –
Then at last into the drive
(man, I felt so excited,
never felt so alive)!

Bounding up the steps
I ran in, ran about
now babbling, now whispering
I talked in a shout –
but as I tried with each of my family
to share my wondrous epiphany
they all ran away –
once they got their first whiff o’me!

Well the story’s moral is simple:
no need to feel dour –
when you’re given a vision
(of whatever power) –
just please wait to share it –
‘til after you shower!

– Jim (Eureka) Keller
September 4, 2002
Draft © 2005 J. Keller All rights reserved

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine Moses was pretty ripe when he came down from the mountain with the tablets.

Next time use Ban.

Anonymous said...

Actually the whole poem was constructed around rhyming "epiphany" with "whiff 'o me." That line came into my head while crawling across the the GWB..... ...and the rest just grew up around it.....