Monday, September 26, 2005

Poetry is Dangerous (Jim)

Live poetry is Dangerous!
Prob’ly should be banned.

Why, next thing y’know,
you let this stuff go –
free speech to the extreme
in the public ring –
all kinds’a things
start to get outta hand!

Still, tonight’s not about who wins
some philosophical battle or other –
and s’not about where I stand –
So no debates about candidates –
or heapin’ grief
on any belief

S’not that I don’t have enough “positions”
to fill a Kama Sutra of the mind,
I do, I do, I DO!
But my mission here’s more subtle –
to engage, not enrage.

Don’t I have to confront you to move you, tho’ –
grab you,
shake you down
to your roots?

Nawwww.
Don’t think so.
If I arch your back
you’ll just deflect my attack –
You’re used to propaganda
You won’t be moved by spin.
A head on assault?
It’ll fail by default!
For it’s not some poem – or poet you face
when you gaze into yer soul’s deepest mirror.
It’s you.

So tonight while I exposit
and you’ve lent me your ears –
if in some fairly uncommon ways –
this’s really about –
our common hopes and fears.

I mean, I figure if I help you rejigger
just one’ve yer notions–
you know,
move a little of your most stagnant
mental furniture ‘round –
Well, once that step’s taken –
Once you’re ready
for a little life upshakin’ –
Once there’s a breach in yer comforting wall –
Then an open mind’s absolutely
the most dangerous state –
of all.

–Jim Keller
Oct 5, 2004
Draft © 2004 J. Keller All rights reserved. World Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of writing about our common hopes and fears. That is a large part of why I read poetry - to relate to the hopes an fears of the writers.