Monday, September 26, 2005

Delusions of whiteness (Kim)

Delusions of whiteness

Try liking the worst
taste in your mouth.
This is not my world.
Every body
takes a number.

My frosted skin
crawls backward
down to a belly
ache. More numb
than dumb. I grew
up thinking every
one loved me.

Heart throbbing
vain. Is this what
it takes to inherit
the earth. We
journey through
our made up hell.

Break my neck.
Another head
start. You don't
know me as human.
White hurts
the pleasure
of being sane.

–Kim Irwin
Draft © 2005 K. Irwin All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The short lines of this poem are very effective. It makes the poem so direct and immediate and punchy.

Visually, it is appealing, and the rhythm that is set up moves me right toward the conclusion with just the right pace.